Palestinians in the homeland and Diaspora commemorate the Palestinian Prisoner’s Day on the seventeenth of April of each year, after this date was adopted by the Palestinian National Council in 1974 as a national day for the freedom of prisoners, and support for their legitimate right to freedom.
On the occasion of the Prisoner’s Day, the Palestinian Prisoner’s Club published this year 2023 the most prominent data on the reality of the prisoners in the occupation prisons.
- About (4900) male and female prisoners are held in (23) prisons, detention and investigation centers.
- (31) female prisoners are in (Al-Damoon) prison.
- (160) children and minors are distributed among (Ofer, Megiddo, and Damon) prisons.
- Old prisoners detained before the signing of the Oslo agreement, their number is (23) prisoners
- Number of prisoners who are punished for life sentence (554).
- Number of martyrs among prisoners: (236) martyrs
- Martyr prisoners whose bodies are withheld: (12)
- Sick prisoners: more than (700) prisoners suffer from diseases of various degrees and are in need of follow-up and intensive health care, of whom at least (24) prisoners and detainees are suffering from cancer.
- Administrative detainees: their number exceeded 1,000 administrative detainees.